Monday, January 23, 2006

Weekend Eagle update

Ok this mornings crash has me all befuddled! But I did mean to tell everyone that my weekend training went well. I chose not to do the Naples Half Marathon in order to keep on track with my training schedule. If the winner of my age group (55-59) is any indication I had no chance of placing in my AG... Joe Bonness finished 5th in my AG at 1:34 so I had no hope!

Saturday I did 17 miles - two loops of my through the woods course (14 miles) plus up to the River Club and back to add 3 miles for a total of 17. It was a rather warm day 78* and sunny. Even though I used SPF 50 sun block I got burned on my neck. I did see Coffee Drinkers Daughter walking Collie but nothing to report. She even smiled at me! Collie looked at me with evil eyes though.

Sunday was our long ride. Tony and I did the Pelican Landing course so we could see the eagle's nest. We decided to take turns pulling switching every half mile. This work pretty good and we got to the eagle's nest very quickly...ave 19.5 mph. The eagle was sitting on the nest but as we watched he/she got up, stood on a branch then flew over us and out to the fields near by.

Tony and I proceeded on to the boat launch area and ate our breakfast, for me a Peanut Butter Crunch Cliff Bar and Tony a rapsberry PowerBar. We looked for dolphins but I guess it is not the right time for them to be in the bay. We did see a lot of pelicans.

On the way back we stopped again at the eagles nest and once again he/she was in the nest but this time obviously feeding the eaglets! What a neat sight to see. We are hoping to see the eaglets fly in a few weeks.

On the ride back home it was windy as the morning winds shifted to the northeast. It made for a tough pull all the way home but we got it done..... 40 miles.

17 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

You can't make me believe there is a collie on this planet that looks at anyone with evil eyes. They're not built that way. Dumbass eyes, maybe, but not evil. :-)

Oldman said...

I think she even snered at me!

Linda said...

Nah, collies don't snear either!

Bolder said...

i'm thinkin' the collie, has some border collie in her, pure evil for a biker -- strong urge to herd.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

That's one of the cool parts about riding the same route each week. Eaglets! How awesome! Let us know how they do. No osprey nests as of yet along my route.

Comm's said...

You know I did 40 miles Sunday and it felt hard, you did 40 and I read it and go, "It wasn't that hard for him, it took me a tad over 2 hours, but I think he did it in like 90 minutes."

soccerdad said...

1:34 only took 5th place in the 55-59 AG?? !!
wow. that's just unbelievable. sheesh, i need to get ALOT older...

Anonymous said...

can you post some pictures of the Eagles/Eaglets as their story unfolds?

Sixteen Chickens said...

Ooooh baby eagles, how wonderful, I would ride like crazy to see them too! We had a pair of ospreys nest here on a powerline platform. When we went swimming in the river we would watch them dive for food for the babys, one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. I'm with anonymous, wanna see pictures!

Oldman said...

I've tried to take pics bu the tree is so tall I need a telephoto lens. I'll try ot get a better pic.

Chris said...

Oh come now. You aren't going to let lil' old Bonness scare you now, are you? :)

Cliff said...

Sorry tri old guy. I didnt' have u on my bloglines. I just added so now I can keep up to date wiht your blog.

psbowe said...

My goodness, you're piling on the miles there! Great rewards about training outdoors...nature's surprises. :)

*jeanne* said...

You are doing great!

For baby eagles, maybe I'd get on MY bike. ;-)

But no promises. ;-P

Ellie Hamilton said...

40 miles, way to go!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »