Monday, August 22, 2005

Hot Hot Hot

It was yet another HOT HOT HOT weakend here in Southwest Florida. It seems we are in the clutches of a hot summer. It was 92 and 94 on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. I read the blogs of people up north like Susan (Finally Running) and Shelly (Ironm4n) and get jealous of the cooler weather. But then I'll make up for it when they have snow.

Saturdays' run was horrible. I found it difficult to maintain my normal pace after the first couple of miles. I did my long route thru the woods hoping the shade from the trees would help. It didn't. At the five mile mark I had to stop and fill both of my water bottles and I took a Cliff shot. After the water stop I have a long section that has no shade and so I got even slower. I stopped again at a golf course bathroom/waterhole and refilled again. I finally gave in at the 14 mile mark. It was just to hot and besides I was close to my house. Maybe I should plan not to pass close to the house until I get to my goal?

Sunday I guess I was still dehydrated from Saturdays run. Tony and I went to Coconut Point to look for dolphins. Once again it was hot. there were no dolphins! I was doing all right until the 30 mile mark. Then the dehydration hit me and I was out of water/gaterade. Tony and I took a short cut home and I logged 36 miles. Tony went on to do 50. So all in all it was not a good weakend.


WEAKLY TOTALS

Bike - 111
Run 28
Swim 4,300 yards

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Passing by the house sounds too tempting for me. I'm weak. I couldn't get over the thought of my soft couch and cupboards full of yummy foods.

Born To Endure said...

Hey?? What's wrong with snow??? Well i'm hoping for a white christmas, than it can go away.:-))

I think i'll camp out in Florida!!

Comm's said...

hey you plugged a 1/2 marathon in training, no complaints there.

:) said...

Be careful out there (from one "hot" head to another).

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

At least you were out there. 2 partial workouts are much better than 2 missed workouts. The heat is bad in my part of Florida too. Keeping saying the magic words "I never have to shovel the heat". :-)

Internet Street Philosopher said...

It's hot also in Nashville and Northern Alabama. We need some cooler weather!

Sam said...

Wow! I have a ton of respect for what you're doing and what you're running. Good job on your training. I was hit to your blog by a friend. I'll be checking back on ya to see how it's going.

Keep up the great work! God Bless!

Chris said...

I long for some warmer days like you're having. It's been in the 50s here at night and that's way to chilly for August! :(

Be careful out there in the heat!