Thursday, January 24, 2013

Brooklyn Pizza

When Joanne and I visit her son and family in New Jersey one of the places we go for pizza is Brooklyn Pizza.  I love their namesake pizza, the Brooklyn Pizza.  So I decided to try to make that pizza but with a sourdough crust last night.

The sourdough crust was the easy part.

Ingredients

1 c sourdough starter
2 c flour
1/3 c tepid  water
1 teas yeast
1 teas spoon sugar
1 teas salt
3 teas olive oil

Add the sugar tot eh warm water and stir.  Add the yeast and allow to bloom, about 5 minutes.   Add the salt to the flour and then add the stater and 1 teas of olive oil, mix well.  Once the yeast has bloomed add to the flour and mix.  Dump mixture onto lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes.  Let the dough rest while you clean the bowl.  Add the remaining olive oil to the bowl.   Knead the dough again for 1 minute then place in bowl turning to cover the dough with the olive oil. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and place in a warm stop for 2 hours.  I put mine in my oven set to proof.

Once the dough has reached double in volume, punch it down to deflate it the knead it for about 1 minute.  Then using a rolling pin roll the dough to fit a rimmed baking sheet.  Place the dough on the sheet and fold over ay edge the is over the pan to make a rim.  Cover with a damp towel and let it rest while the over comes to temperature, 425*






The Bechamel Sauce

Ingredients

2 teas butter
2 teas flour
pinch of nutmeg
2 c milk
1/2 c Parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Warm the milk in the microwave until warm but not boiling.  Add the flour to the melted butter and cook the flour about 5 minutes until it smells nutty.  Add the nutmeg and begin to stir as you pour the milk into the flour mixture.  Continue to stir for 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and add the cheese.

Assembling the pizza

Ingredients

Bechamel Sauce
8 oz mozzarella cheese grated
4 oz spinach
4 oz prosciutto
arugula
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling

Spread the bechamel over the risen crust.  Sprinkle the spinach over the sauce then the mozzarella. I had a few broccoli florettes so I put them on them too.  Place in 425* oven for 20 minutes.






After 20 minutes my cheese was brown, so I took it out.





I then added the arugula and prosciutto and  drizzled some EVOO.  I sliced and served.


When I started to write this I look at Brooklyn Pizza's website and I found that the Brooklyn Pizza is made with a pomodorro  sauce rather than a bechamel.  So it look like I have to try this again.

No comments: